Friday, December 22, 2006

Seasonal musings

Ahhh... Christmas... finally some time to take off and reminisce on the year past and muse for the year to come.

In the year past, I've had some great adventures: skiing in Idaho, sunning in the Outer Banks, and drinking in Boston, all of which I never got around to listing on my blog. I feel I should share the highlights for those of you who might adventure to these locales, or just take interest in this sort of thing.


Idaho, specifically Boise, was a blast. I must recommend the skiing at Sun Valley, of course it was my first Rockies mountain so it may just be lack of experience talking. Lots of good trails for those who are of moderate skill. If there you must visit the Seattle Ridge Lodge at the top of the mountain for some of the best backed potatoes I have ever had! Speaking of potatoes, you must check out the "Chick Bacon on a Tater", which contains chicken breast, bacon, BBQ sauce, and backed potato wedges wrapped in a tortilla. They are sold by the street vendors near the downtown bars and are a great substitute for the Jumbo Slice, and a stunning example of the local potato culture.

The Outer Banks was AWESOME! Sorry Ocean City, but you now completely suck in my book. North Carolina is the way, especially when you rent a house with a pool and sleeping room for a dozen. The beach goes for ever, and isn't nearly as crowded. The days in the sun, the nights of karaoke and DDR, and never having to drive through traffic anywhere once after arrival. I can't wait to head back again next year, which we should probably start planning soon.

The Boston trip, the only trip here that was after my blog started, was a blast, that I somehow forgot to mention here. I must say that the best part was the night spent at Ned Devine's in Faneuil Hall of downtown Boston. Had a blast drinking and dancing with Ann ;-) and her sisters. The local bars and restaraunts of South Boston were also quite the experience. The accents are amazing, Good Will Hunting doesn't even scratch the surf ace. If you can't afford the international flight but want a taste of Ireland, just hang out at the blue collar bars of this neighborhood. I should also mention that the only condo I want is one in a converted school house, you can't beat the HUGE windows and tall ceilings, I'm so jealous of those who already have one :-p.

This has been a great year, I can't wait to see what next year brings. I'll put it in writing here so it is almost a contract for the next year. Goals are to visit Seattle, Idaho, Europe, Vegas (again) and the bike trail from da'Burgh to DC. Hope to see you all along the way!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Agreed - Ocean City is crap!